Jackson County Times

Top Story News

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Meet Marie Herring R.N., A Breast Cancer Survivor

“Take them both! God immediately led me to that decision.”

By Sid Riley

Marie Herring is a registered nurse, currently working as Branch Director of the local Emerald Coast Hospice group. One advantage of being a health care professional is that you automatically develop a deeper level of knowledge and appreciation for your own personal health. Your experiences as a health care provider prepare you to better deal with personal health related decisions when they are necessary. This was certainly the case with Marie Herring.

Marie is married to Dr. Duane Herring, who is part of the Emergency Room staff at Jackson Hospital. She has three children and two stepchildren. A daughter, Amanda is a student in Dade City, Florida, a son, Chris is an engineer in Atlanta, and another son, Ryan, a senior at Marianna High School is the kicker on the football team. Her stepchildren include Lauren who is a student as FSU, and a stepson, A.J., who is a student at the University of Florida.

Marie’s fight with breast cancer began with a routine mammogram in December of 2007. The day after the test she received one of those phone calls that no woman ever wants to get. “Marie, we need to have you come back in for some more testing tomorrow, the Doctor has seen a suspicious spot and wants to do an ultrasound”. Next came a biopsy, and again, bad news.

“The tissue testing has disclosed a D.C.I.S. (ductal carcinoma in situ) which is a very early stage cancer, and you will need to have a lumpectomy followed by some radiation treatments”, the doctor explained. “No, I want to have a bi-lateral mastectomy!,” Marie exclaimed to the surprised physician.

Her feelings were enhanced by a prior experience she had with a patient she had assisted in her R.N. duties. She helped this woman through chemotherapy after having a mastectomy. The woman proclaimed her conviction that by rigorously attacking the cancer from the onset, her chances of reoccurrence were held to a minimum. “I believe it was God’s plan to have me work with this woman through her battle, in order to lead me to the correct decisions as I encountered the same fight” Marie explains. “I knew from the onset I had to have the bi-lateral operation instead of merely having a lumpectomy. The way I viewed the situation was that I was through having children, and if my breast were threatening my life, then I needed to get rid of them”.

After a search for the right doctor, who was willing to perform the bi-lateral procedure for such an early stage cancer, she finally found Dr. Croombs in Tallahassee. “After I explained my situation, he managed to squeeze me into his schedule right away as the last patient of the day. He and his staff stayed and worked with me until 6:30, well after the work day had ended. They had a real concern for my situation. Then the Doctor agreed to perform the procedure. He also referred me to Dr. Larry Hopper to do the reconstructive surgery, and I immediately felt a reassuring bond with him,” Marie continued.

So the operation was performed. As a result of performing the bi-lateral procedure, two additional, undiagnosed tumors were found. Marie would surely have had reoccurrences which might have threatened her life. One of these was a Lobular Carcinoma in situ, a more serious form of cancer which would have demanded a bi-lateral mastectomy as treatment. As a result of Marie’s persistent intuition, she had greatly increased her potential of remaining healthy and cancer free.

Marie is now enjoying a fulfilling career working with Emerald Coast Hospice. “It is a wonderful organization, and I feel we are helping so many families,” she beams. “All of my experiences while working as a Registered Nurse, and even my battle with breast cancer, have prepared me for this wonderful job.”

Marie encourages any other women who have encountered breast cancer personally, or through a loved one to consider attending a local “Breast Cancer Support Group”, which meets at 5:00 PM at Jackson Hospital, the third Thursday of each month. Also, she encourages all women to attend the Breast Cancer Symposium on October 22. For more information contact Marie Herring at 209-8412.

No comments:

Post a Comment