Jackson County Times

Top Story News

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pearl Harbor …. And I Was There

By Homer Hirt
I was there on 7 December 1941 when the Jap planes took off from their carriers and flew over our Hawaiian Islands.
I was there when they came in low to drop torpedoes that were not supposed to work in Pearl Harbor, but they worked well.
I was there when our planes were strafed at the air bases and were unable to take off to defend us.
I was there when, at 0800, the color guards at each ship began raising Old Glory and as the bands began playing the Star Spangled Banner.
I was there when the young black sailor, I forget his name, who had been trained as an officer’s cook stood behind a machine gun and, instead of running, shot down an enemy plane.


To read the rest of the story visit our virtual paper by clicking on this link!

No comments:

Post a Comment