Jackson County Times

Top Story News

Monday, August 31, 2009

Meet Dawna McAlpin, Jackson County’s Newest Millionaire

“I don’t normally play the lottery.” states winner.
By Sid Riley
Once in a while good things DO happen to good people. An excellent example of this occurred in Jackson County last Wednesday night when local resident Dawna McAlpin hit the Florida lotto jackpot for $15,000,000. She has taken a lump sum payout of $8,634,850 after taxes.
“I don’t normally play lotto”, she explains. “I would be surprised if I averaged playing it over five or six times per year. I decided to play a $5 “quick pick” on Wednesday, and now I’m very glad I did.” Her winning numbers were 16-17-19-43-45. She is employed by the BP Handi Mart located at the I-10 interchange for Grand Ridge. The store, which is owned by Sangaree Oil Company will receive $40,000 for selling the winning ticket.
During our interview with Dawna on Tuesday, she was still at work as a clerk-manager in the store, acting as if nothing had happened to change her life. “My phone has been ringing non-stop”, she stated. “The calls are coming from all of my friends and family, plus a lot of people trying to get me to invest in things.”
Dawna is very devoted to her family, especially her children. “We are putting a major portion of this money into programs designed to assure our children are well cared for in the future,” she stated. “We have previously traveled quite a bit, so for now we plan to live our normal lives. We will meet the immediate needs of our family, and that is all we plan to do. However, my husband and I have bought new vehicles, we both needed one. ”
This hard working, devoted mother has been working three jobs as she struggled to help her family. She worked at the store as Manager, cleaned several homes as a housekeeper, and on week ends worked at Bear Paw Canoe Rentals in Marianna. She and her family are certainly deserving of this windfall.
She and her husband David Livingston have been married for eight years. Dawna has four children, one in Marianna Middle School, and three in Marianna High. They also have another child they care for, and love as their own. Dawna is the daughter of Sharon and Michael Deming of Cottondale. She attended school in Cottondale. She and her family attend the Evangel Worship Center in Marianna.
So, Jackson County now has a new millionaire. May God continue to shower blessings on her and her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment